A Musical Travel Experience Unlike Anything You Have Ever Experienced
We invite you to join the 2020 Bansuri Bliss India Immersion, a travel experience like no other, designed specifically for bansuri players and lovers of north Indian classical music!
When: January 16th to 29th, 2020
Where: Hyderabad, India
Group Size: Nine bansuri player participants, plus Bansuri Bliss Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger and an array of Hyderabad's finest musicians
The 2020 Bansuri Bliss India Immersion will take place over the course of two weeks in Hyderabad, India, a city with a rich musical history.
We will immerse ourselves in the world of Indian Classical Music for 14 days; meet an array of world-class musicians; receive in-depth instruction into the intricacies of Hindustani Sangeet (the classical music of northern India); and attend private musical performances.
We will share unforgettable experiences, expanding our conception of what is possible with music, significantly increasing our musical abilities, and gaining a glimpse into the ancient musical culture of India that few tourists or foreigners will ever see.
The 2020 Bansuri Bliss India Immersion will be led by Bansuri Bliss Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger, who has been studying, teaching, recording and performing bansuri since 1996.
Dr. Kriger spent December 2017 and January 2018 in Hyderabad on his own musical journey, and was fortunate to be introduced to many of Hyderabad's finest musicians. Nearly every day, Dr. Kriger would take lessons (bansuri, tabla, vocal); rehearse or perform with tabla players; attend concerts; and/or write music for his forthcoming books of Indian classical music compositions.
The 2020 Bansuri Bliss India Immersion was conceived in order to provide you and other passionate bansuri players with a similarly deep learning experience that will forever change the way you relate to and play Indian classical music.
The tour will take advantage of Dr. Kriger's extensive network of musicians created over his past trips to Hyderabad, and will ensure that you leave Hyderabad with not only significantly increased musical skills, but also an expansive network of musical friends and teachers with whom you can collaborate and learn from far into the future.
* Private bansuri lessons with Bansuri Bliss Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger. Every day, unless our schedule is filled with other musical activities, Dr. Kriger will be available to give you private bansuri lessons. You will also be able to sit in and watch/listen to lessons that other students are receiving.
* Private tabla lessons with Saawan Kakkeri and/or Srikant Bhatlawande, two of Hyderabad's finest tabla players. Both Saawan and Srikant come from musical families and have been playing tabla since they were kids. Both their fathers studied with the great tabla player Shaik Dawood Khan. Even if you have no tabla experience, you will be able to learn the basics of tabla and Indian rhythm, which will help you greatly with your bansuri playing and any drumming that you ever do.
* Visits to various music schools such as the Secunderabad Music Academy and the Sri Thyagaraja Government College of Music & Dance, where there are ongoing classes in sitar, vocal music, tabla and mridangam (South Indian classical percussion).
* Concerts: We will attend house concerts arranged solely for the members of our group, and we will also attend public concerts that are taking place in the city.
* Visits to the homes of some of Hyderabad's finest musicians, to hear them play, hear the stories of their musical past, and to receive private instruction.
* Visit to a bansuri maker's home, to see how bamboo flutes are made and to purchase flutes.
By focusing the tour in one city, we are able to reduce travel time and hassle and focus on achieving Bansuri Bliss! We will arrange your airport pickup/dropoff at Hyderabad's Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD) and we will travel around the city by private vehicles.
We understand that some participants may live in Hyderabad or have friends/family there, and therefore will not require lodging. As such the base cost of the Immersion does not cover hotel expenses.
If you want Bansuri Bliss to reserve you a room in a clean, comfortable, modern hotel, we can do that! We can reserve you a private room or you can save money by sharing a room with another bansuri player.
The base cost of the 2020 Bansuri Bliss Immersion is $1,975.
The base cost covers:
- All your music lessons and concerts from January 16th through 29th, 2020.
- All lunches and dinners (we will eat together each day).
- Airport transfers between Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD) and Hyderabad city on January 15th, 16th and 29th.
- Transportation in the city when you are moving with the group.
The base cost DOES NOT cover:
- Airfare or other travel expenses to or from Hyderabad.
- Alcohol, souvenirs or tips.
- Taxi fares incurred when you are on your own traveling around the city.
If you want us to reserve you a room in a clean, modern, comfortable hotel, it will be an additional:
- $800 (Shared Room with one other bansuri player, breakfast included)
- $1,500 (Private Room, breakfast included)
Alternatively, we are happy to provide you with recommendations of luxury and budget hotels so that you can handle your own reservation.
If you are interested in taking part in the 2020 Bansuri Bliss India Immersion, please fill out the Expression of Interest Form below. Once we receive your form submission, we will be in touch with you to set up a time to talk and to help you get signed up!
This will be an amazing musical experience and we hope you will be able to take part. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Namaste! I am the Founder & President of Bansuri Bliss and have been studying, recording, performing and teaching bansuri since 1996. I spent ten enjoyable years learning the intricacies of raga and bansuri from the legendary flute player Pandit Vijay Raghav Rao. I have also studied tabla Hindustani vocal music, as well as guitar and western music. I regularly perform around the world, and you may hear the sounds of my bamboo flute on a beach at sunset or filling the air of a mountain valley.